Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Late 2009 Software List (Mac)

Following right behind my list of standard Windows applications I have installed, here is my list of developer tools, utilities, and general purpose software I have installed for Mac OS X.

Development
  • SubEthaEdit: Great text editor that includes revolutionary collaboration support through Bonjour
  • TextWrangler: Free text editor for Bare Bones Software; subset of their BBEdit product
  • TextMate: Powerful text editor used by the Ruby on Rails team
  • Xcode: Apple's IDE; bundled with Mac OS X, but not installed by default
Browsers
  • Safari: Apple's built-in browser, and my personal favorite
  • FireFox: Fully featured and extensible browser; very popular for its features and standards support; you'll probably want to install FireBug, a web development plugin for FireFox
Web
Media
  • VLC media player: Plays every file I've ever thrown at it, with a minialistic and Mac-native interface
Communications
Office Suites
  • Office 2008 for Mac: I got a great deal on Black Friday 2007, otherwise, I wouldn't have a copy; it is nice for working with the latest native Microsoft formatted documents
  • iWork: Consists of Apple's word processor (Pages), spreadsheet (Numbers), and presentation software (Keynote); great for the price, and does everything I need it to
I didn't include a utilities section this time, because OS X comes with a plethora of small application. Here's the list of bundled applications I have in my Dock:
  • Dictionary
  • Calculator
  • TextEdit (defaulted plain text mode)
  • The whole iLife suite (iTunes, iPhoto, GarageBand, iMovie, and iWeb)
  • DVD Player
  • Time Machine
  • iSync
  • Software Update
  • Activity Monitor
  • Console
  • Network Utility
  • Terminal
I've also trimmed my Dashboard widgets down to Weather only.

The only other observation I'd like to make is that besides having the OS come with more applications, the applications I do pay for are a lot cheaper altogether than the applications I pay for on Windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment